For anglers, Fishfinders are necessary equipment with active sonar instruments that are used to determine the depth of water for navigation and safety. Humminbird has consistently been making the best Fishfinders for a while, and the Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP G2 is by far the best and certainly the most powerful in their lineup.
Thanks to its highly capable and sophisticated combination of switch fire, side imaging, and down imaging sonar technology, the Helix 5 CHIRP G2 Fishfinder has always managed to stay ahead of the competition by offering unique, compelling features.
If you’re an angler looking for a Fishfinder with all the bells and whistles, this particular model is the best choice for you.
Humminbird HELIX 5 Reviews!
- Product Name: Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP GPS G2
- Model Number: 410210-1
- Dimensions: 1.13 x 7.55 x 4.28 inches
- Display Size: 5 inch
- Display Resolution: 800×480
- Display Type: 256-Color TFT
- Sonar: CHIRP Digital Sonar/DualBeam PLUS
- Frequency: 83/200 kHz
- Max Depth: 2500 feet
- Power Output: 500W (RMS)/4,000 (Peak to Peak)
- Transducer: XNT 9 20 T
- Waypoints: 2,750
- Routes: 47
- Tracks/Points: 50/20,000
- GPS Receiver: Internal
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
Humminbird 410210-1 HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2
The new Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP GPS G2 is an exceptionally well-performing and well-designed Fishfinder to maximize your angling experience.
It features an intuitive REFLEX interface, accurate Broadband CHIRP, and incredible Imaging SONAR technology, and Auto Chart Live mapmaking capabilities. The Humminbird Helix 5 also looks great—thanks to its impressive industrial design.
The HELIX 5 has the company’s newest user interface and operating system and features a vivid, vibrant, 256-color 800 x 480 resolution, backlit 5-inch display. The CHIRP Dual Beam PLUS sonar system comes with 4000 watts PTP power output.
This Fishfinder has a precision internal GPS Chart plotting feature with built-in Anima cartography as well. There is a useful micro SD card slot for saving waypoints or storing additional maps.
- Great design and easy to handle
- Robust and reliable unit
- Easy to operate and install
- Accurate water depth readings
- Excellent GPS performance
- Micro SD card to store marked locations
- Screenshot and sonar recording functions
- Waterproof rating of IPX7
- 1-year limited warranty
- The mediocre performance of the depth indicator and GPS chart plotter
- Mediocre screen resolution
- The build quality needs improvement
- Not useful for black sky navigation
- The boat mount is rudimentary
- Some buyers complained the Instructions are not very easy to use
- Transducer wire is short for a pontoon boat
- No standing mode to save battery life
Different Styles of Humminbird Helix 5
Auto Chart Live
1.HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2
CHIRP Side Imaging CHIRP Down Imaging CHIRP Digital Sonar DualBeam PLUS
2.HELIX 5 CHIRP DI GPS G2
CHIRP Down Imaging CHIRP Digital Sonar DualBeam PLUS
3.HELIX 5 CHIRP DI GPS G2 NAV
4.HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2
CHIRP Digital Sonar DualBeam PLUS
5.HELIX 5 DI G2
Down Imaging Sonar DualBeam PLUS
6.HELIX 5 SONAR G2
The Helix 5 Generation 2 CHIRP family consists of four different models of fish finders. Apart from a few differences, all models come with a standard 5-inch screen with 800 x 480 resolution, gimbal or in-dash mounts, GPS, Micro SD card slot, screenshots saving features, recording sonar readings, and so on.
The GPS-equipped models feature AutoChart Live, and all iterations of the Helix 5 series are compatible with the Humminbird LakeMaster charts, Navionics, and Hotmaps.
There are half a dozen of Helix models available, but we will go over the three best based on their pricing.
- Humminbird Helix 5 SI
- Humminbird Helix 5 DI GPS
- Humminbird Helix 5 GPS
1.Humminbird Helix 5 SI
The Helix 5 SI is regarded as the premium model of the Helix 5 family as it offers almost the same features as the Humminbird Helix 5 CHIRP G2, except for Side Imaging. It costs $100+ more, so if you need Side Imaging, this might be best.
2.Humminbird Helix 5 DI GPS
This Helix model features dual beam sonar and down imaging allowing anglers to see at depths of up to 600 feet underwater. The view is fan-shaped and similar to what the diver sees in the sea.
The Helix 5 DI GPS is an affordable unit, but you still get all the bells and whistles of any Helix 5 model, including GPS, UniMap, and CHIRP imaging.
3.Humminbird Helix 5 GPS
The Humminbird Helix 5 GPS can be called the quintessential Fishfinder for amateurs and pro anglers alike.
The Helix 5 GPS has a 5-Inch Color WVGA Display, CHIRP Dual Beam PLUS Sonar, Internal GPS Chart plotting using the built-in Anima cartography, standard Transducer with mount, and micro SD card slot for saving additional maps and waypoints.
Other standard features like the Humminbird Basemap and Humminbird AutoChart Live are included. The Humminbird Helix 5 GPS starts at $278+ on Amazon.
Features of Humminbird Helix 5
The display of the Helix 5 is impressive and color accurate. It is a widescreen 5-inch ultra HD, LED-backlit screen with a resolution of 800 X 480 pixels. As a result, this screen offers class-leading clarity making the side imaging very easy to use, which is one of the significant advantages of the display.
If you want to split your images into two halves, you still can get pretty decent display space for chart plotters. The chart plotter uses Navionics Gold cartography. If you want, you can create your own custom contour using the Auto Chart software.
The Humminbird Helix 5 has a relatively large transducer, and it is one of the best we have come so far. The 15-millimeter magnetic transducer mount makes positioning it in place relatively easy.
The main benefit of the transducer in this unit is that it allows you to measure the temperature of the water, and it is capable of going down to up to 1,500 ft. underwater.
Dual Beam PLUS Sonar
The Helix 5’s Dual Beam PLUS Sonar technology provides better detail and an extensive coverage area, helping anglers in identifying fish, structure, and contours.
CHIRP stands for ‘Compressed High-Intensity Radar Pulse.’ It means it can show you fish that other forms of 2D sonar can’t. The Humminbird Helix 5 easily exceeded our expectations when it comes to the CHIRP Sonar.
Unlike other competing units that cover a single frequency, the Helix 5 ups its game by offering both CHIRP imaging and 2D sonar that covers a wide range of frequencies for improved clarity and separation between the fish and water structures.
Similar to other high-end Fishfinders, the Humminbird Helix 5 G2 also features a built-in GPS technology for navigation. With this function, you can keep track of your preferred fishing spots.
Imaging (Side imaging And Down imaging)
The Humminbird Helix 5 G2 has remarkable Side Imaging and Down Imaging functionalities. With Side Imaging, you can clearly see underwater structures and tangled tree branches, whereas, with the Down Imaging feature, you can have a clear view of the water depth, underwater structures, and contours.
What is Side Imaging and How to Read It
Humminbird Helix 5 FAQs
1. Does the Humminbird Helix 5 have GPS?
Yes, the Humminbird Helix 5 comes with a fully-fledged GPS. All Humminbird Helix models include an internal GPS that allows you to up to 2,500 waypoints and 45 routes. Given its small size, that’s great performance if you ask me.
Anglers can also link the GPS with the AutoChart Live feature to create their own special maps and to download additional maps about good fishing spots. Alongside that, the Helix 5 has several types of GPS maps, including maps for nearby vegetation, satellite imaging through LakeMaster PLUS, and bottom hardness.
2. Does Helix 5 have Down Imaging?
Yes, the Helix has Down Imaging, which is a useful feature for finding fish. This feature gives angler’s a “Fish Eye’s” view of the water, helping you find fish and see underwater with extreme clarity. Most Helix 5 models have down imaging technology that provides high-res images not found in other Fishfinders.
3. Is the Humminbird Helix 5 waterproof?
All Humminbird Fishfinders are waterproof, including the Helix 5, and can be used in fresh and saltwater. However, we suggest you do not submerge this unit during cleaning. Just wash it with clean water and cloth and wipe dry when done.
4. How do you read a Humminbird Helix 5?
Reading the Humminbird Helix 5 to find fish is easy. As the sonar jumps back and front in the water, the sonar paints a pixel or a blob on the screen. It isn’t a perfect painted arc or a blob, but if it’s between the surface and the bottom, it’s probably a fish, walrus, a smallmouth bass, etc.
5. Does Humminbird Helix 5 come with a transducer?
The Humminbird Helix 5 has capable transducer technology, and it’s relatively large. The unit also comes with a 15-mm magnetic transducer mount to easily attach and position the transducer in position. The transducer provides information about the water temperature up to 1,500 feet deep.
Humminbird Helix 5 Setup
The Humminbird Helix 5 Fishfinder is, undoubtedly, a fantastic product with incredible performance, intuitive interface, and generous features.
Additional premium features such as the CHIRP Sonar technology, GPS, Unimap charts, and transducer, makes the Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 the one and only Fishfinder to buy for amateurs and seasoned anglers. Even better, this unit is suited for use for both small and large boats as well as in fresh and saltwater.
So, if you’re searching for a top and high-performance Fishfinder with excellent GPS and charting capabilities at a reasonable price, we can’t recommend the Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 Fishfinder enough.
- Clear Vu scanning Sonar shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects, structure and...
- The power of simple offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5, 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
- Waypoint map: Use the way point map to easily view, mark and navigate to locations such as brush piles, stumps and docks; Maximum depth 1,600 feet freshwater, 750 feet saltwater; Current draw at...
- Chirp Sonar sends a continuous sweep of frequencies which provides a wider range of information; Chirp Sonar is able to create crisper fish arches with better target separation
- Built in flasher: View your sonar data in the classic flasher format; Ideal for ice fishing or vertical jigging. Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches (4.9 x 7.3 centimeter); 3.5 inches diagonal (8.7...
- Includes transducer for built-in Garmin CHIRP traditional sonar plus CHIRP clearer scanning sonar
- Built-in Garmin quickdraw contours mapping software lets you create and store maps with 1’ contours for up to 2 million acres
- Built-in GPS lets you mark waypoints, create routes and view boat’s speed
- Bright, Sunlight-readable 5” display and intuitive user interface
- Rugged design for every fishing environment
- Easy-to-use 4-inch color fishfinder with new vivid scanning sonar color palettes to easily distinguish fish and structure; tilt/swivel bailmount bracket included
- Includes a GT20 transducer for built-in Garmin CHIRP traditional sonar and CHIRP ClearVü scanning sonar
- High-sensitivity GPS to mark waypoints, create routes and view your boat’s speed
- Includes built-in Quickdraw Contours mapping