Finally, the time arrived to go kayaking but you find yourself getting stuck inside the room, why? Because the Best kayak paddle you bought betrayed you with its disappointing performance.
This is the reason why you should get to know the names of the paddles that are impressing the users. And yes, such paddle does exist.
All you have to do is: go through this write. Because we have 5 best of them that are not only high-quality but also outstanding in their performances.
Best Kayak Paddle For The Money
1.Vibe 230cm Kayak Paddle
2.SeaSense Kayak Kayak Paddle
3.Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
4.Pelican Kayak Paddle
5.Werner Kayak Paddle
Top 5 Kayak Paddle Reviews!
1.Vibe 230cm Aluminum Shaft Journey Kayak Paddle
Vibe Kayaks is stated to be a choice especially for newbies who wish to use one as a backup.
It comes with asymmetric blade shapes that provide you with effective and smooth strokes. Hence, you will love its performance after you dip it into the water.
It also includes a pair of drip rings that come attached to either end of the paddle. The drip rings help keep water from running down the shaft so that you can prevent it from making you get drenched.
Vibe Kayak paddle features a 2-piece snap button that offers ferrule adjustment feathering from 60-degree left to 0-degree to 60-degree right. So, all the control will be just on your hand and you can decide the dominant one.
The blade has been made of reinforced polypropylene while the shaft used anodized aluminum. Both the materials don’t only make the paddle resilient but responsive as well.
Coming in 230 cm, this makes it ideal for the paddler who is below 5 feet 5 inches. However, it still depends on your preference.
You will also find it the best kayak paddle for the money and for its versatility.
- Durable and well built.
- Best kayak paddle for a beginner
- It offers ferrule adjustments.
- It comes with drip rings.
- Slightly heavy.
2.SeaSense Lightest Kayak Paddle
Another kayak paddle for the money you can get is from SeaSense that comes in the form of Unified Marine SeaSense X-Treme II.
The blade has been made of fiberglass filled nylon that does not only make it super light but also strong. Moreover, it is also able to withstand pressure from water that can attract you even more. As for the shaft, it has been constructed with aluminum making it a light product to hold for a longer period without giving you any exhaustion.
You will also find foam grips that will not only provide you with comfort but also added strength to paddle with all the control in your hand.
Talking more about the blades, they have been curved around an inch that also makes it very effective when they are dipped into the water.
It comes 244cm long which makes it ideal mostly for people coming in 5 feet 6 inches tall 6 feet height.
- Well-built and durable.
- lightest kayak paddle.
- Foam grips add comfort and strength.
- Capable of withstanding pressure.
- Hand grips may become loose after a couple of hours of use.
3.Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
Carlisle ensures a magical experience with their Magic Plus paddle in their bag. It promises to give you a “Magic” feeling due to its durability and stability, thanks to the materials.
The blade has used solid fiberglass reinforced polypropylene that feels versatile, efficient and balanced so you can enjoy its performance in both rocky shorelines and open water. Its hard-hitting nature can make you manage yourself so you can head off with it while you get stuck.
Moreover, the blade comes in asymmetric having a spoon-shaped curve that helps lessen torque and flutter. As a result, you can feel less fatigued and can spend more time on the water. The spooned shape also propels kayak through the water more efficiently by just moving more water.
It is also meant to last for its wound fiberglass shaft that is very light to offer comfort. You will also love its quality just after gripping it. The shaft will give you a cool touch when it’s summer while a warm touch when it’s winter. You can also break the shaft down into 2 pieces for easier storage and portability.
The paddle also lets you feather the blades at 60 degrees for right or left-handed control by using a push-button.
Magic Plus is available in the lengths that range from 220cm to 250cm. So, if your height is around 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet, it will be great for you.
- 250cm kayak paddle
- Two-piece for easy portability and storage.
- It offers the power to swing.
- It helps give a stable and smooth row.
- Best paddle for an inflatable kayak
- The water-blocking rings coming in rubber material are terrible.
4.Pelican Kayak Paddle Aluminum Shaft with Reinforced Fiberglass Blades
Pelican too has the kayak paddle that has attracted a lot of paddlers for its quality.
The brand has made the blade with fiberglass reinforced polypropylene that is not only impact-resistant but also durable. Coming in feathered style makes it less wind-resistance on the blade.
As for the shaft, it has used aluminum that does not only feel high in quality but also offers great performance. It goes from a round shape to a slightly oval-shaped that serves as a reference so you can know where you should place your right hand.
Besides, it is able to break into 2 pieces that provide you with easy transportation and storage.
The Pelican Kayak paddle also has an enforced pushbutton connection that can adjust from 0 degrees to 65-degree angle left or right for flexible operation.
There will also be drip rings that are adjustable so they can help in keeping your hands dry and you can have a better grip.
Moreover, it comes in 226cm long that can be perfect for a paddler with a height of 5 feet 5 inches or below.
- Impact-resistant and durable.
- Breaking into 2 pieces offers easier storage and transportation.
- It can be adjusted from 0 degrees to 65-degree angle left or right.
- Adjustable drip rings for better grip.
- A bit on the heavy side.
5.Werner Camano Premium Fiberglass Kayak Paddle
This Camano kayak paddle by Werner warrants you to offer premium performances by using high-quality material and manufacturing skills. Hence, an ideal combo of lightweight swing and stiffness has been ensured.
The blade has been constructed with fiberglass material so you can feel its efficiency and balance while using it in water. The blades come in mid-size, hence they are able to fit the different kayakers who don’t only want power but also wish to use a relaxed touring stroke overall. Coming in dihedral design, the blades further allow for stable forward and smooth paddling.
The shaft comes in standard diameter made up of carbon for durability and performance as well. It has been combined with an adjustable ferrule system that you will find very easy to use.
Moreover, you can also change its feather from left to right in 15 degrees increments to let you enjoy the control.
To add more, the paddle comes ranging from 210cm to 250cm for paddlers with different heights. So, that can be good news for all.
All in all, the paddle is stated to be outstanding on the water with its optimized flex and strength.
- Lightweight swing and stiffness.
- Efficient and well-balanced.
- Durable and solid.
- Adjustable ferrule system.
- It can oscillate up and down a bit uncontrollably when pulling light.
Kayak Paddle: Buying Guide
kayak paddle length
It’s not very complicated to figure out the right side of the paddle. The wider the kayak will be, the longer the paddles should be. There is another factor that you must keep in mind which is your height. The taller you will be, the narrower the kayak and the longer the paddles should be picked up.
The size of the kayak paddles, however, determines a kayak’s speed and control. Plus, it also has to be passable enough to make comfy rowing. As a result, make sure to go with the length relying on your height. A wrong length of the paddle would not only make a rider feel uneasy above the water but would reduce his speed and control as well.
Speaking of the size, the paddle comes measured in centimeters while the kayak is sized in inches. Although we are providing you with a list that will help you pick a paddle size according to your height, it is recommended that you check the website of the brand because of variations.
Here is the list below:
- For below 5 feet 5 inches paddler, the paddle length should be 200cm to 230cm.
- For 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet paddler, the paddle length should be 220cm to 250cm.
- For above 6 feet paddler, the paddle length should be 230cm to 250cm.
Yet, these are just recommendations. Make sure to look for the one that would suit you the best.
The material determines the quality and construction durability of the paddle. You may get a variety of range when it comes to the materials. Besides, one kayak paddle can also be made of different materials since one is picked up for the blade while the other is for the shaft.
Blade: As for the blade, make sure to look for lighter weight material since it helps amplify performance. Another logic is that you raise the blade higher than the shaft and light material will give you that comfort to do the job with ease. It also helps reduce fatigue so you can enjoy kayaking for a longer time. Moreover, different materials vary in how well they can have the energy transferred to the stroke.
- Plus: Flexibility keeps the blade from snapping, relatively cheaper.
- Minus: Flexibility in the water can reduce efficiency on the stroke.
- Plus: Ultra-lightweight, Ultra-stiff makes it great for transferring energy.
- Minus: Extremely expensive.
- Plus: Lightweight, capable of withstanding pressure.
- Minus: Able to get damaged.
- Plus: Somewhat inexpensive, capable of withstanding pressure.
Shaft: Shaft material should be serviceable as well as durable. On top of that, it should also be light so that you don’t have to suffer pain and fatigue. Each material also determines the level of performance whereas each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
- Plus: Most inexpensive, durable.
- Minus: It can get very cold or hot depending on the temperature.
Carbon and fiberglass:
- Plus: Durable, pairing them with a composite blade can make the paddle very light and efficient.
- Minus: Extremely expensive.
- Plus: Somewhat inexpensive.
- Minus: Heavyweight.
The blades are not only styled to make them look cool but also provide you with a productivity boost. You will get a variety of blade designs in the market offering a variety of functions.
However, you can consider having these options given below:
Asymmetrical: These blades are able to cut through the water efficiently while being shorter on one side than the other.
Dihedral: These blades manage water-flow greatly similar to a speed bump through the middle.
Feathered: These blades tend to be offset at an angle to each other. Hence, it helps decrease wind-resistance on the blades.
Another essential factor that you need to think about is if you want the blade narrower or wider.
Narrower: These blades are great for longer trips. You want to finesse while you spend time on a lake or go fishing. Hence, such a style will help you make a way without scaring up the fish.
Wider: These blades are ideal for making a faster trip down-river. You will love them for short bursts of power.
Factors of angles should also be taken into considerations. For this, you will have two options.
Higher angle: Paddle with a higher angle can reach the water smoothly. Hence, you will enjoy a great performance.
Lower angle: Paddle with lower angle requires to hit the water at the right angle. Because, if you make it dip too deep, it can make you flip over completely.
Shaft: Bent or straight?
Paddle with a straight shaft would be easier to use while providing you with multiple hand positions. It will come at a lower cost than that of a bent shaft. Not only that, but such style is also stated to suit most of the paddlers.
You can go with a bent-shaft paddle if you look for less wrist strain and more long-distance comfort. The bent style allows the wrist to enjoy more neutral alignment so it can lessen strains on the joints. However, a bent shaft can be pricy since it is more difficult to manufacture.
Make sure to take the paddle that would weigh light. It’s because the lightweight option lets you hold it with ease and you will get to paddle with greater control. You may get the lightest paddle ranging from 25 to 30 ounces depending on the material mostly. They will keep you from fatigue even after paddling for a longer time.
Moreover, you should also ensure going with one that will be enough strong to endure the pressure from wind and water effectively.
How do I choose a kayak paddle?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the perks of having a great kayak paddle?
A: There are a ton of benefits when you have the best kayak paddle for yourself. Let us highlight some of them below.
- A paddle of right length enables you to paddle the water controllably and easily.
- Paddling can provide you with different health benefits so you can stay in the pink.
- A right paddle can help you stay in control.
- It can help make your kayaking more fun and interesting.
- A great paddle can give you several pleasant activities for enjoying water sports.
- Paddle with a solid construction can withstand pressure from water and wind.
Q: What is feathering?
A: There are two types of blades in the alignment category: Feathered and Un-feathered. The feathered blade refers to the difference in angle between the blades that let you decrease the effect of wind on them while they are out of water. On the contrary, un-feathered or matched blades come aligned with each other.
The majority of the shafts of paddle let you rotate them so you can either feather or un-feather them. These shafts let you adjust the feathering amount in 15 degrees increments typically. However, there are some of them that allow you to have them adjusted at any angle you want.
Q: Is a paddle’s length adjustability an important feature to consider?
A: This is not really an important feature but you can look for this factor for having extra benefits. There are some products that are capable of adjusting the length. This adjustment ranges within 15cm. If you own a lot of kayaks with different widths, then such a factor can be a great option. Besides, if you think the paddle, you will buy, will be used by other kayakers, then you can think of this option too. It is stated to be a handy feature when you have a kayak with an adjustable seat between a high and low position like you commonly find in a fishing kayak.
No matter what you buy, the best kayak paddle has to be great enough to make your time on the water the most memorable. Make sure that it does not disappoint you, rather it should encourage you to paddle as long as you want.
- Two Piece Heavy-duty Construction for Easy Storage
- Feather-shaped Blades and Double Serrated Teeth Edge Design
- Three Locking Positions
- Hollow Aluminum Shaft Tube can Well Keep the Paddle Float on the Water
- Package includes a Paddle Leash
- DURABLE AND AFFORDABLE: This kayak paddle is with high-quality aluminum alloy shaft (1.1mm shell thickness) and fiberglass reinforced PP blade. The material combination ensures a stiff and durable kayak paddle at a better price. It’s a perfect choice for starters and intermediate kayakers.
- USER FRIENDLY: The oar shaft is designed with a shrinking PE tube cover. It provides better grip for your hands to prevent blistering. Especially, your hands won’t suffer from the cold feeling from the alloy when you kayak in winter weather.
- POPULAR LENGTH AT 230CM: Not too short, not too long, the oar is 230cm (90.5 inches) at length. It’s an ideal kayak paddle with moderate length for you and your family. It’s also detachable at 2 sections, so you might carry it around and put it away easily.
- FREE LEASH/3 ANGLES/ DRIP RINGS: All OCEANBROAD kayak paddles come with a free bungee paddle leash. It helps secure your paddle to your kayak, especially when you want to lay down the oars, stop by a little bit to enjoy great views around. The paddle is with 3 locking positions for different kayaking angle preference. The drip rings at two ends help stop water flowing from the blades. So, the shaft and your hands won’t get wet easily.
- WORRY FREE PURCHASE: OCEANBROAD offers complete customer satisfaction of replacement or refund for any quality issues.
- Feathered Blade Design
- Two Piece Construction For Easy Storage
- Adjustable Drip Guards
- Support Ridge For Added Strength
- Three Locking Positions