Things you need to know about a Fishing License
Fishing is a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s a hobby, it’s a way of life, or it can be a competitive sport. Fishing is an age-old practice that will probably be forever part of our lives as human beings.
As widespread as it is, rules and regulations for fishing vary around the world. In North America, especially in the United States, fishing is regulated based on its region. There are competitive fishing games that are organized in some communities that make it more exciting. But in certain areas, before you can partake in this wonderful activity, you need a fishing license. In this article, we’ll discuss a few important things about acquiring a fishing license, and a few important things in between.
Let’s start at reeling!
A Step by Step Guide on How to Get a Fishing License
Did you know that fishing licenses were issues way back in ancient China? It was during the Qing Dynasty that fishing boat operators were required to have a fishing license partly to regulate coastal operations. This was way back in 1729.
Moving forward to our modern times, it can get a bit tricky. In the United States, rules can vary per region or state and at the same time, fishing permits or licenses will be required either by the government or by the owner of personal property or both. Sometimes it can be different if you want to fish on freshwater or saltwater. The amount you need to pay for a license may vary too.
It can be different if you’re going out fishing on a large boat, or just kayaking for a single day. There are single day or multiple days fishing licenses and at the same time resident and non-resident licenses. You just have to find what best describes your status.
What does a fishing license regulate?
A fishing license is put up to prevent overfishing. In Oregon, where fishing is such a huge part of the community, a license was started way back in 1899. It was due to the collapse of the state’s sturgeon fishery because of over-harvesting. Recreational fishing licenses were instituted in 1901 in the said state.
Indiana followed suit and added fishing for their wildlife hunting privileges. Pennsylvania did so as well in 1919. To date, there are still license-free countries for fishing.
Aside from overfishing, licenses also tend to limit fishing on certain parts of the year to give marine life a chance to grow and thrive. There can also be restrictions on the number of licenses issued, the size of a vessel, the area for fishing, the method employed for fishing, and at the same time the species that can be caught. There are also licenses distributed for those who collect fish for scientific studies.
So how do you acquire a fishing license?
Acquiring a fishing license should be straightforward. All you got to do is contact your local Fisheries and Wildlife Division and comply with their requirements.
Most of the time, the requirements would be age and health condition. Again, there may be different rules for the collection of fish for scientific purposes.
A licensed angler must always have their angling license with them while fishing.
The following are exempted to the licensing rules:
- Someone who is more than 16 years of age;
- A person who is more than 65 years of age;
- Sometimes, a person can also be exempted to the rule if they have a license from the Department of Health
Once you pass the requirements you should be able to partake in any fishing activity as long as your license is valid (how many days it is for). Please do take note that private property owners may impose their fishing permits.
Can you acquire a Fishing License online?
The internet is such a huge part of how we go about things nowadays. So, it’s only natural that you can already acquire a license for fishing through it. So yes, you should be able to apply for fishing licenses online, you just have to pay for online transaction fees.
What are the other benefits of fishing licenses?
Aside from the motivations and missions of an imposed fishing license mentioned above, it’s also important to know that fishing licenses fund conservation efforts.
Sales turned out from fishing licenses reaches hundreds and millions of dollars ($700 million in 2018) and the funds are then used for the conservation and restoration of the country’s fisheries. There have been efforts brought about by the licensing process to help in fish management, habitat and species restoration, land acquisition, habitat protection, education, research, and public access for boating and fishing.
There are also taxes imposed on different fishing equipment, boats, and other angling stuff.
How much is a fishing license?
This section will be dedicated to the illustration of how much annual fishing licenses are for different states.
There are also 1 to 14-day licenses offered and may set you back for as low as $5 to probably $40 depending on the state, resident or non-resident.
Can you buy a lifetime fishing license?
There are about 32 states that have some sort of a lifetime fishing license. This license can be paired up with a hunting license (trapping may or may not included).
The 32 states mentioned above are the ones that have some type of a lifetime fishing license:
Indiana (ended in July 2005)
The fees for a lifetime license may vary by age groups but sometimes can be the same for everyone no matter if you’re a senior citizen or a veteran. Some states only offer lifetime licenses to those who are 15 years old and younger or those who are 65 years old or older. A senior citizen may have a free lifetime fishing license.
A lifetime license can be priced at around $200 for senior citizens and $600 for adults, it varies per state.
How do you get a Fishing License in California?
The information below is based on the California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations. They offer annual, short term such as one, two, or ten-day valid licenses and at the same time lifetime licenses separated by age brackets.
As per their website you can now only purchase your California sport fishing license, plus report cards and your validations online. Just visit wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/online-sales. Also, anglers may submit their report cards online.
Report cards are essential as they provide important data of harvest that is critical for helping fishery scientists to better regulate fishing programs. Report card submission online makes the process faster and easier for everyone.
With the harvest details, fishery managers can promptly have information to utilize.
Standard mail reporting though is still available. Reports are expected on the 31st day of January each year.
One-Day Sport Fishing License for resident or nonresident is $15.69. Two-Day Sport Fishing License for resident or nonresident is $24.33. And the 10-Day non-Resident Sport Fishing License is $48.34. (Additional information please visit: http://www.eregulations.com/california/fishing/freshwater/license-fees/)
How do you acquire a Fishing License in Texas?
You can buy a Texas fishing license or a package online too. Also, you may visit a Texas Park and Wildlife Department office, and the 1,500 retailers statewide. Licenses are also sold in a lot of department stores, tackle shops, sporting goods stores, gun shops, and also grocery stores.
Photo credit: Amazon
As fun and beneficial as fishing can be, we need to protect our wildlife and fisheries to ensure that future generations can still experience them. That’s what these licenses are all about and if we follow the rules and regulations then we help ensure that fishing can still be a sport for our kids, grandkids, and their grandkids.
Let’s comply and help our fisheries thrive. Now go out there and catch a haul!
- 🎣 VARIOUS FISHING ACCESSORIES- TOPFORT 187 pcs fishing tackles set collects nearly all accessories including Off set hooks/barrel swivels / barrel snap swivels/swivel slides/ Three way cross-line barrel swivels /Sequins/ split shot weights/fishing beads/ Barrel Swivel with Safety Snap/ Fishing Leaders/ Heart Shaped Plastic Sheet/ Fishing Sinker Weights / Space Beans / suitable for all sorts of fishing conditions (About 0.09USD for each piece)
- 🎣 Anti-Corrosion Stainless Steel- All Fishing Accessories made of stainless steel, which is not easy to deform and has strong corrosion resistance in the sea, our superior fishing kit will help to attract more catches and provoke predator fish to strike.
- 🎣 storage capacity-Fishing tackle case comes with a selector side by side tackle box for classifying all accessories, each kind of fishing Accessories are placed in different small grid with translucent cover that make all items are well sorted storing and easy identification and access.
- 🎣 Easy to carry-The fishing tackle is equipped with a compact box with a black elastic lanyard. Fishing gadgets box size：4.7" x 3.9" x 1.2", weights 8.8 oz, easily fits in your fishing seat box, fishing backpack and fishing vest's pocket, portable size and weight for carry besides wherever you go to fishing.
- 🎣GREAT GIFT - Comes with a selector side by side tackle box, great gift for fisherman, Special for Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, Father's Day ect.
- 🎣 Warm Prompt: Full Kit with Carrier Case: 1 Fishing Rod + 1 Fishing Reel + Fishing Line + Various Fishing Lures + Fishing Hooks + Some Necessary Accessories + Carrier Bag.
- 🎣 Full Kit with Carrier Case is specially made for novice, including necessary fishing accessories. With this set, there is no need for you to buy any other fishing stuff.
- 🎣 Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass makes your fishing pole hard & durable. Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seat is anti-seawater corrosion; EVA Fore Grip for comfort. The telescopic fishing rod is portable, and closed length design is convenient carrying around. Power: Medium.
- 🎣 Instant anti-reverse; Power drive gears equipped for high strength. Deep aluminium spool with double color and one line hole; More short body with large spool and large line capacity. Line capacity: mm/M 0.20/240 0.25/200 0.30/140. Model: HA 3000; Gear ratio: 5.2:1.
- 🎣 It's the best gift to send father, son, husband，fiance, boyfriend for the upcoming Christmas. Want to buy single rod or single reel? Please search the ASIN: B07FT29RJS or B07YFP8KV3.
- ✔UPGRADED FISH GRIPPER- ZACX improved the length of EVA Foam Handle till to 4.3inch for this classic T-handle grabber, this new fishing lip gripper with ergonomic to enhance hand strength and reduce fatigue
- ✔NEW DESIGN FISHING PLIER- 2019 new aluminum fishing pliers, it’s feature elegant hollow out design and machine cut aluminum handles for reduced weight, multi-functional for braid line cutters split ring hook removers
- ✔MORE CONVENIENT OPERATE- Higher quality spring loaded handle keeps it open freely, super easy to use by one hand, come with lanyard which prevent accidental loss and always easy to reach
- ✔STURDY AND DURABILITY- These pliers and grippers are ideal for both freshwater and harsh saltwater environments, corrosion resistant, extremely light for long time fishing trip
- ✔BEST GIFT FOR FISHMAN- Cool gift for angler friends or family. Such as Father's Day or Valentine's Day Style A Package: 1x fishing gripper; Style B Package: 1x Fishing Tool Set ( 1 fish lip gripper and 1 fishing plier with sheath)
- 🎣 PLUSINNO fishing tackle set collects nearly all accessories including fishing lures, hooks, Jig Head, Weights Sinker, Line Stopper, Barrel Swivel, Free Tackle Box, an overall fishing lures kit for saltwater and freshwater, Perfect for ocean, lake, river, reservoir, pond and stream.
- 🎣 102Pcs Fishing Lures Tackle Box Kit contains a large variety of baits, covering Crankbaits 6pcs, Metal Spinning Lures 10pcs, spinnerbaits 4pcs, Topwater Fishing Frog Lures 2pcs, 3 different Plastic Worms 18pcs, reliable and all-around choice for any angler and fishing enthusiast.
- 🎣 The lifelike design crankbaits are made of 3 D Eyes and super-realistic paint. The Plastic Worms have 3 kinds of different style and size, which the largest length is to 14 cm, unlike other sellers only 5 cm. Our superior fishing lures will help to attract more catches and provoke predator fish to strike.
- 🎣 All fishing tackles are packed in a double-layer box which is easy to carry, and convenient to get the exact fishing tackles you need.
- 🎣 Compact and easy to take around. It's the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiancé, boyfriend for the upcoming Christmas.
- 【Premium Material】Our Fishing Gear Set comes with a Fish Net and a Fish Gripper. The fish landing net is made of high quality nylon netting and a corrosion resistant Aluminum Alloy pole handle, which makes the Fishing Net Solid&Durable, ensure long term performance and reliable use. Great for fishing in saltwater and freshwater!
- 【Waterproof Nylon Mesh】The Fishing Landing Net is made of Non-Absorbent Coating, which is waterproof and can prevents the Net from Waterlogging. Knotless nylon mesh prevents fishhooks from getting tangled, lightweight soft mesh will not damage fish, load capacity up to 10 lbs, making it a perfect fishing tool for both beginner and advanced fishermen to use for catch and release. Total length 36.2inch,Collapsed Length: 17inch.
- 【Telescopic Fish Landing Net】The Telescopic Handle can extends from 17inch to 22inch , allows for the extra reach needed to get to your catch; Skid-resistant EVA Handhold make it easily to catch big fish; Folding Fishing Nets can easily fit into a storage or rod locker, easy carry; SPECIALLY-DESIGNED BELT CLIP for Convenient Carry and Transportation.
- 【Durable Fish Gripper】The Stainless Steel Fish Holder Lip Gripper with ergonomic to enhance hand strength and reduce fatigue.Weight Capacity:40lb. Higher quality spring loaded handle keeps it open freely, super easy to use by one hand, come with lanyard which prevent accidental loss and always easy to reach.
- 【Ideal Setup for Fish Catching or Releasing】Perfect gift for fishermen and people who loves fishing. The collapsible fishing net and the fishing grippers are excellently fish friendly which will not be harmful to fish scales, suitable for sea fishing, kayak fishing, river fishing, lake fishing, boat fishing etc.