What is Bow mount trolling motors ?
Bow mount trolling motors are specialized electric motors designed for fishing boats. They are mounted on the bow (front) of the boat and are used primarily for providing propulsion and precise boat control when fishing. These motors are distinct from outboard motors, which are mounted on the boat’s transom.
If you’re a serious angler then you’re probably aware of the significance of a bow mount trolling motor. These types of motors enable you to have a lot better control compared to other types of motors. They are more powerful and more convenient than traditional gas engines.
A bow mount trolling motor will make your boat super maneuverable that will come in very handy while fishing. They also work extremely well if you’re riding on a fore deck of a bass boat or an open bow-rider. Trolling motors are quite expensive, hence, it’s important that you invest in the right one.
The market is filled with a wide array of different brands of trolling motors. However, we want to make sure that you get your hands on the Best bow mount trolling motor so that you can have the ultimate experience on the water.
Best Bow Mount Trolling Motor We Will Cover Today
- Best Spot-Lock- Minn Kota Terrova
- Best Saltwater-MotoGuide Xi5 54″
- Best 12 volt-White Haswing 12V 55LBS 54″Shaft
- Best Foot Steer Control-Garmin Force
- Best Freshwater-Minn Kota Ultrex
- Best Budget-Watersnak Shadow
- Best Battery Power-Minn Kota PowerDrive
Top-Rated Trolling Motors Reviewed!
1. Minn Kota Terrova Freshwater Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with Spot-Lock
2. MotorGuide Xi5 Saltwater Trolling Motor With Wireless
- Thrust Power: 55 lbs, 80 lbs, or 105 lbs
- Voltage: 12V or 24V
- Shaft Length: 54 inches or 60 inches
- Steering Type: Wireless Pinpoint GPS or Foot Pedal
- Control: Wireless Remote or Foot Pedal
- Digital Power Management: Yes
- Variable Speed Control: Yes
If you’re looking for a versatile trolling motor so that you can fish with tranquility then the MotorGuide Xi5 Saltwater Trolling Motor is your guy. It features a wireless handheld control that enables you to control the device from anywhere around the boat. This bad boy is specifically designed for saltwater. So, your saltwater fishing experience will be taken to a new height with the MotoGuide Xi5.
The innovative mount of the motor features an easy-to-read LED dashboard that enables you to have a quick look at the four key functions regardless of the lighting condition. So, if you’re out there fishing on a cloudy day then no worries, the MotoGuide Xi5 got you covered.
It comes with a super-accurate GPS that’s one of the finest in the industry. It enables the boat to be 3x more precise holding on your anchor point. This version has a thrust option of 55 lb and is suitable to powerboats sized between 16-25 feet.
The digital variable speed control feature comes in handy for preserving trolling battery life and gives you greater control over your preferred speed limit. MotoGuide has a dual cable system that runs between the foot pedal and the control head.
It also has a unique technology known as variable-ratio steering that enables you to have more control over the boat. You’ll face no torque or pause when handling the motor, so, if you’re looking for a motor with an outstanding level of control then the MotoGuide Xi5 54″ Bow Mount 55 lb is a superb choice for you.
- Outstanding motor speed and directional control
- The motor operates quietly
- Comes with integrated sonar
- Tough mounting bracket
- Rugged build-quality
- Excellent for salt water condition
- The foot paddle is a bit light
3. Best 12 Volt Bow Mount trolling Mmotor-AQUOS HASWING White
- Thrust Power: 55 lbs
- Voltage: 12V
- Shaft Length: 54 inches
- Steering Type: Foot Pedal
- Control: Variable Speed and Direction Control
- Digital Power Management: Yes
- Weedless Prop: Yes
If you’re looking for a versatile trolling motor that can perform several tasks and is suitable for multiple different fishing styles then you’re in a luck. The Black Hawsing 12-Volt Bow Mount Trolling Motor is an excellent motor that will take your fishing experience up a notch.
Also, it comes at a very affordable price, so, you don’t need to break the bank for the Black Hawsing Bow Mount Motor. You can rest assured that with this bad boy, all your fishing expeditions will be a lot more fun and hassle-free.
The thrust power is quite impressive considering the price of the motor. It has a thrust power of 55lbs with 10 speed settings and it can perfectly propel all kinds of small to mid-sized boats. It comes with a 12-volt motor that is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater conditions. The power will ensure that you’ll be able to boat for long hours and enjoy your fishing trip to the fullest.
The shaft length of the boat has a significant impact on its overall performance as it determines the depth of water through which you can travel safely. The easy-to-use depth collar helps you to quickly and securely change the depth.
The total length of the trolling motor is basically the shaft length. The Black Hawsing has a shaft length of 54-inches which enables it to control the boat more effectively.
This motor is also very easy to handle and operate. It has an ergonomic lifting handle that helps you to take the motor off the boat or the car effortlessly.
- Comes at an affordable price
- Easy to handle and operate
- Features 10 different speed settings
- Thrust power of 55 lbs
- Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater conditions
- Powerful motor
- Not suitable for large boats.
4. Garmin Force Trolling Motor With Foot Steer Control
- Thrust Power: 57 lbs to 100 lbs
- Voltage: 24-volt or 36-volt system
- Shaft Length: 45 inches to 52 inches
- Steering Type: Foot Pedal
- Control: Smartwatch Integration
- Weedless Prop: Yes
5. Minn Kota Ultrex Freshwater Bow-Mount Motor with Universal Sonar 2 and i-Pilot
- Thrust Power: 80 lbs or 112 lbs
- Voltage: 24V or 36V
- Shaft Length: 45 inches, 52 inches, or 60 inches
- Steering Type: Power Steering with Foot Pedal
- Control: i-Pilot or i-Pilot Link Remote or Power Steering Foot Pedal
- Digital Maximizer: Yes
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Yes
If you’re looking for a versatile trolling motor with premium features then the Minn Kota Ultrex Trolling Motor i-Pilot Link US2 is your guy. The price is on the steeper side, however, with its incredible performance and phenomenal durability, it’s worth every penny you spend on it.
The Minn Kota Ultrex has a rugged body that can endure the harshest condition without any wear or tear on it. With the unique i-Pilot feature, your fishing and boating experience will reach a new height with this trolling motor. Its all-new power-steering and GPS will enable you to lock the specific location of your desire and fish with ease.
The newly upgraded i-Pilot helps you to jog within the five-foot radius of the spot lock position and helps you maintain full accuracy within a few meters. The unique Steering lock facility enables you to take your foot off the pedal without losing your exact destination.
This bad boy comes with a Power Steering assisted cable foot peal with auto-lock and autopilot buttons to make your boat rides as hassle-free as possible. You can also connect it through the Minn Kota app on your phone to perform the software updates, commands, and basic remote control functions.
The Ultrex has quite an operating system so you’ll be able to reach the fishing spots without scaring the marine creatures. No matter how shallow or deep the water is, you’ll have no trouble if you’re traveling with the Minn Kota Ultrex.
- Comes with a number of incredible features
- Rugged construction
- Durable build quality
- Comes with a foot pedal
- Comes with an upgraded i-Pilot feature
- Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- A quiet and cool operation that doesn’t scare away the fishes
- Compared to other trolling motors, the Minn Kota Ultrex tends to have a higher price, making it less accessible to anglers on a budget.
6.Best Budget Bow Mount Trolling Motor-Watersnake Shadow
- Thrust Power: 44 lbs to 70 lbs.
- Voltage: 12-volt
- Shaft Length: 48 inches to 54 inches,
- Steering Type: Electric-Steer
- Control: Variable Speed Control
- Thrust Power: 55 lbs
- Voltage: 12-volt
- Shaft Length: 54inches
- Steering Type: Electric-Steer
- Control: PowerDrive Foot Pedal
- Digital Maximizer: Yes
The Minn Kota 1358737 PowerDrive bow mount trolling motor is an exceptional addition to any angler’s arsenal, designed to elevate the fishing experience to new heights. Renowned for its precision, reliability, and innovative features, this motor stands as a testament to Minn Kota’s commitment to quality.
The standout feature of the Minn Kota 1358737 PowerDrive is its unparalleled control and maneuverability. Equipped with an intuitive foot pedal, steering becomes seamless, allowing for precise navigation even in challenging waters. The responsive steering and variable speed settings grant anglers the ability to maintain their desired position effortlessly, enabling a focused and uninterrupted fishing experience.
This model boasts advanced technology that sets it apart. The inclusion of GPS integration and spot lock functionality ensures precise anchoring at specific locations, freeing anglers from worrying about drifting. Furthermore, the Digital Maximizer feature optimizes battery usage, prolonging runtime without compromising performance.
Crafted with durability in mind, the Minn Kota 1358737 PowerDrive is built to withstand the rigors of frequent use in various fishing environments. Its sleek design not only enhances the aesthetics of the boat but also contributes to its functionality, ensuring a streamlined and efficient operation.
One of its most appreciated qualities is its whisper-quiet operation. The near-silent movement through the water minimizes disturbances, allowing for a stealthy approach and reducing the risk of scaring away fish, making it ideal for both novice and seasoned anglers.
Installing and operating the Minn Kota 1358737 PowerDrive is a breeze. The user-friendly interface and straightforward installation process make it accessible to anglers of all skill levels. The intuitive controls further enhance the overall user experience, ensuring convenience at every step.
In conclusion, the Minn Kota 1358737 PowerDrive stands as a pinnacle in the realm of bow mount trolling motors. Its precision, advanced technology, durability, and ease of use make it a top choice for anglers seeking uncompromising control and performance. Whether fishing in freshwater or saltwater, this motor proves to be an indispensable companion, elevating every fishing expedition to new levels of success.
- Unmatched Control and Maneuverability
- Advanced Technology for Enhanced Performance
- Durability and Design
- Quiet and Efficient Operation
- User-Friendly Installation and Controls
- Price: The advanced features and quality build come at a higher price point compared to some other trolling motors in its range.
Minn Kota vs. MotorGuide
Minn Kota and MotorGuide are two well-known and reputable brands in the trolling motor industry. Each has its own strengths and features, and the choice between them depends on your specific needs and preferences. Here’s a comparison of Minn Kota and MotorGuide trolling motors:
- Durability: Minn Kota trolling motors are known for their durability, especially in saltwater conditions. They use high-quality materials and coatings to resist corrosion.
- Innovative Features: Minn Kota often leads in terms of innovative features, including GPS technology with Spot-Lock for precise boat positioning and i-Pilot for enhanced navigation.
- User-Friendly: Minn Kota motors are often praised for their user-friendly design, with wireless remote controls, user-friendly interfaces, and easy deployment mechanisms.
- Variety: Minn Kota offers a wide range of trolling motors with various thrust options, shaft lengths, and features to suit different boat types and fishing situations.
- Warranty: They typically provide good warranties on their products, providing peace of mind to customers.
- Price: Minn Kota trolling motors can be on the higher end of the price spectrum, which might not be suitable for budget-conscious anglers.
- Competitive Pricing: MotorGuide often offers more budget-friendly trolling motor options while still providing good performance.
- Quiet Operation: Many users find MotorGuide trolling motors to operate quietly, which is beneficial for sneaking up on fish.
- Precise Steering: MotorGuide trolling motors are known for their precise and accurate steering, allowing for fine control of your boat’s movements.
- Reliable Construction: They are generally reliable and durable, suitable for both freshwater and saltwater use.
- Limited Features: While MotorGuide offers solid performance, they may not have the same level of advanced features and technology found in some Minn Kota models.
- Less Variety: MotorGuide may have fewer options in terms of thrust, shaft length, and other features compared to Minn Kota.
In summary, Minn Kota is often associated with cutting-edge technology and innovative features, making them an excellent choice for anglers who demand the latest advancements. On the other hand, MotorGuide provides reliable and budget-friendly options with precise control. Your choice between the two should depend on your budget, the specific features you desire, and your fishing environment (saltwater or freshwater). Ultimately, both brands have their merits, and either can serve you well depending on your needs.
Bow Mount Trolling Motors Maintenance Tips
- After Every Use: Rinse the motor with fresh water to remove any salt, debris, or grime accumulated during use. This prevents corrosion and keeps the motor functioning smoothly.
- Inspect for Damage: Regularly inspect the propeller, shaft, and mounting brackets for any signs of damage or wear. Replace any worn-out parts promptly to prevent further issues.
- Proper Charging: Follow manufacturer instructions for charging the battery. Overcharging or undercharging can reduce battery life.
- Keep Terminals Clean: Clean the battery terminals regularly to prevent corrosion. Use a wire brush and a mixture of baking soda and water to clean terminals if needed.
- Dry Storage: Store the motor in a dry place when not in use. Moisture can cause damage and corrosion.
- Secure Mounting: Ensure the motor is securely stored, avoiding any stress on the shaft or mounting brackets.
- Shaft Lubrication: Apply a marine-grade lubricant to the shaft and moving parts as recommended by the manufacturer. This prevents rust and ensures smooth operation.
- Grease Fittings: Grease fittings, if present, should be lubricated according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Check Electrical Connections:
- Tighten Connections: Inspect and tighten all electrical connections to prevent loose connections that can cause malfunction.
- Corrosion Prevention: Apply dielectric grease to electrical connections to prevent corrosion, especially in saltwater environments.
- Inspect and Clean: Regularly check the propeller for damage or debris. Remove any weeds, fishing line, or debris stuck on the propeller to maintain its efficiency.
- Balance Check: Periodically check the propeller balance. An imbalanced propeller can strain the motor and reduce its lifespan.
Follow Manufacturer Guidelines:
Always refer to the manufacturer’s manual for specific maintenance instructions and schedules. Different models may have unique maintenance requirements.
Factors that Should be Considered Before the Purchase
Getting a trolling motor is a major investment and it’s important to ensure that you’re investing in the right one. The performance and your overall satisfaction with the motor depend on various factors and there are multiple aspects you should be aware of before you decide on your ultimate choice. Here are some of the most vital factors that you should consider while shopping for a bow mount trolling motor.
The voltage varies with the different models of motors and it’s important to be aware of the voltage required to power your boat. The voltage requirement fluctuates with the size of the boat. Fishing boats are larger and they usually require 24-volt to 36-volt motors. On the other hand, canoes and kayaks are smaller in size so 12-volt is sufficient enough to power a smaller boat.
Hands-free operation is always preferred by boatmen as it gives them more flexibility and enables them to have better control. Trolling motors are usually hand controlled. However, modern motors come with both hand and foot pedals which gives the user more flexibility to choose their preferred method to operate the boat.
The thrust of the trolling motor is measured in pounds and the amount of thrust required is depended on the size of the boat, the space available on the boat, and the type of water you’re traveling at. With the perfect amount of thrust, your boat will run in a butter-smooth motion. Whereas, having insufficient thrust will make it harder for the boat to move.
The trolling motor usually comes with an instruction from the manufacturer on the thrust requirement. The general rule is, for every 200lbs, you’ll require 5lbs of thrust to keep the boat running smoothly.
The length of the shaft plays a vital role as it is the determinant of whether the motor will be operated by hand or the foot pedal. The length of the shaft is more crucial with the hand tiller as you’ll require to have a balance on the motorhead to use the gear comfortably.
The shafts are generally made with metal or composite material which gives a slight flex. The flex helps to prevent breaks in the shaft when you hit underwater objects. However, shafts with too much flex are harder to control and they’ll have a negative impact on the overall performance of the trolling motor.
Why Should I Use A Bow Mount Trolling Motor?
Well, trolling motors are expensive so, this question is quite legitimate considering the investment you’ll be making. We’ll be discussing some fantastic benefits that you’ll get from a trolling motor. There are plenty of features that make them a lot better option than regular motors.
Easy Installation Process
Even if you’re not a tech-savvy person, you’ll face no problem with the installation process of a bow trolling motor. You require very little effort and time when it comes to the installation process.
Silence is Blissful
One of the most vital reasons that makes it so popular among anglers is its ability to glide along the water without making any noise. It operates in a butter-smooth motion which doesn’t create unnecessary vibrations in the water that might scare away the fish. These motors are created with advanced technology that helps to propel the boat efficiently with little to no noise at all.
The fun of your fishing expedition will rise to a great extent if you can steer around without any trouble. Steering is one of the most important aspects of a bow mount trolling motor and the fisherman should be aware of how the motor operates and how sensitive it is.
Thanks to technology, most modern trolling boats can be operated both by hand and foot. Fishermen tend to prefer foot pedaling more as it’s more convenient and easier to control. However, if you’re not comfortable with foot steering, there are plenty of trolling motors that offer both foot and hand pedaling so that you can choose the method that’s more convenient for you.
Best Bow Mount Trolling Motors FAQs
1.What thrust power is suitable for my boat?
Answer: The appropriate thrust power depends on the size and weight of your boat. As a general rule, for every 100 pounds of boat weight, approximately 2-5 pounds of thrust is recommended. Larger boats or those frequently facing strong currents might require higher thrust (80-112 pounds), while smaller boats could suffice with lower thrust (30-55 pounds).
2.What are the advantages of a digital vs. analog foot pedal control?
Answer: Digital foot pedals offer precise control with variable speed settings, often allowing for more accuracy in maneuvering. They also tend to have features like spot-lock technology, which maintains the boat’s position against wind and current. Analog pedals are simpler and might suit anglers who prefer a more traditional feel, but they lack some of the advanced features of digital controls.
3.What is the significance of GPS capabilities in a trolling motor?
Answer: Trolling motors equipped with GPS features, such as spot-lock and anchor lock, can maintain your boat’s position using satellite technology. This is particularly useful for holding your boat steady in a specific spot without the need for an anchor, allowing for precise fishing in windy or turbulent conditions.
4.How important is shaft length when choosing a bow mount trolling motor?
Answer: Shaft length is crucial to ensure the propeller remains submerged at an appropriate depth for efficient performance. A shaft that’s too short might not reach the water adequately, leading to cavitation and reduced control. Measure the distance from your bow to the waterline, add the height of the bow, and select a shaft length that accommodates that measurement.
5.What durability features should I look for in a trolling motor?
Answer: Look for motors constructed with corrosion-resistant materials like stainless steel and composite components. Sealed electronics and waterproofing are crucial to prevent damage from water exposure. Additionally, consider motors with strong warranties, as they often indicate the manufacturer’s confidence in their product’s durability.
Among the tons of different models out there, we have made our picks by critically considering all their aspects with new and innovative technologies. With the smooth and noiseless operation of a bow trolling motor, your boating and fishing expeditions will be taken to a new height.
We have accumulated the best bow mount trolling motors out there so that you can have the best boating experience. So, get your hands on one of these bad boys and enjoys your next trip to the fullest.